Let others know that there is hope and understanding. You can change the way the world sees mental health.
Limitation of Liability
You agree that you will hold harmless NAMI and its officers, directors, employees and volunteers from all claims arising out of or related to your access or use of, or your inability to access or use, this Web site or the information contained in this Web site or other Web sites to which it is linked. You also agree that NAMI or the contributors of information to this Web site shall NOT be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on information provided on the NAMI Web site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Disclaimer on Professional Advice
The information available on and through the NAMI.org Web site is presented in summary form as a supplement to, and NOT a substitute for, the knowledge, skill and judgment of qualified psychiatrists, psychologists, physicians and health care professionals. The information on NAMI.org has been obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, NAMI makes no warranty as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of this information. Should you have any health, medical or disability questions or concerns, please consult a physician or other health care professional. Information accessed on or through NAMI.org is neither complete nor exhaustive and does not cover all disabilities, diseases, illnesses and physical conditions or their management or treatment.
Information accessed on and through NAMI.org is provided “AS IS” and without warranty, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose. The information provided on the NAMI Web site is provided for general information only.
Disclaimer of Warranty
NAMI makes no warranties of any kind concerning this Web site, including but not limited to any warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, or any warranty that these pages, or the server that makes them available, are free of viruses or other harmful elements, and such warranties are expressly disclaimed.
You understand that the opinions and recommendations included in this Web site are not necessarily those of NAMI or endorsed by NAMI. NAMI may provide links to other Web sites, which are not under the control of NAMI. These links are included as a convenience to you and are not intended as an endorsement by NAMI of the organization or individual operating the Web site.
Usage of Content
Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on the NAMI Web site, including – but not limited to – text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio and video clips, is proprietary to NAMI.
NAMI grants requested reprint permissions subject to your agreement to these conditions.
In the reprint, you will credit NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, as the source. You are not reselling the product at a profit. And you will send a copy of the result to this address:
Editor, NAMI, 3803 N. Fairfax Dr., Ste. 100, Arlington, VA 22203. (If the reprint is for use on a Web site, please send the citation to firstname.lastname@example.org).
For any information contained on the NAMI site that is attributed to another source, permission to reproduce must be obtained from the original source. Use of any robot, spider, other automatic device or manual process to monitor or copy the Web site or any of its content and “mirroring” the Web site or any content on any other server is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained from NAMI.
NAMI, The Advocate, ¡Avanazamos!, e-News, e-Advocate, In Our Own Voice or IOOV, Mind of America Foundation, Multicultural Action Center, NAMI Annual Convention, The NAMI Child and Adolescent Action Center (CAAC), Basics, Connection, FaithNet , Family-to-Family, Hearts&Minds, HelpLine, Peer-to-Peer, Provider Education, Veterans Council, NAMIWalks, StigmaBusters and Train-the-Trainers and other marks are registered service marks of NAMI.
This Web site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by NAMI, which is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia, in the United States of America. It can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as from other locations around the world. Each of these locations have laws that may differ from those of Virginia. Therefore, by accessing this Web site both you and NAMI agree that the statutes and laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without regard to principles of conflicts of law in Virginia or elsewhere, shall apply to all matters arising from or relating to use of this Web site. You and NAMI also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the state and/or federal courts located closest in proximity to the NAMI National Office in Arlington, Virginia should any matter arise related to NAMI.
Use of Web site Discussion Groups/Bulletin Boards
NAMI provides this Webs ite and associated discussion groups/bulletin boards for the benefit of its members and the public. NAMI cannot and does not review the information from or communications by users of the bulletin boards. NAMI expressly disclaims responsibility for and liabilities resulting from, any information or communications from and between users of the NAMI bulletin board.
Users are warned they may be individually liable for anything they communicate using the NAMI bulletin board, including but not limited to defamatory, discriminatory, false or unauthorized information. Users are cautioned that they are responsible for complying with the requirements of applicable copyright and trademark laws and regulations.
The NAMI discussion groups are forums for individuals to share their opinions, experiences and thoughts related to mental illness. NAMI wants to ensure the integrity of this service and therefore, use of this service is limited to participants who agree to adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Refrain from transmitting any message, information, data, or text that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, that may be invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or bashing communications – especially those aimed at gender, race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious views or disability.
NAMI reserves the right to remove or edit a post containing offensive material as defined by NAMI. That stated, NAMI does not have the practical ability to restrict conduct or communications prior to transmission and posting, nor can NAMI ensure prompt editing or deletion of offensive posts.
NAMI reserves the right to remove or edit posts that contain explicit, obscene, offensive, or vulgar language. Similarly, posts that contain any graphic files will be removed immediately upon notice.
2. Refrain from posting or transmitting any unsolicited, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain mail,” “pyramid schemes” or any other form of solicitation. NAMI reserves the right to delete these posts immediately upon notice.
3. NAMI invites and encourages a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with a participant’s post or opinion and wish to challenge it, do so with respect. The real objective of the NAMI message board is to promote discussion and understanding, not to convince others that your opinion is “right.” Name calling, insults, and personal attacks are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. NAMI will remove these posts immediately upon notice.
4. NAMI promotes privacy and encourages participants to keep personal information such as address and telephone number from being posted. Similarly, do not ask for personal information from other participants. Message board posts that request participants submit personal information to another party will be removed immediately upon notice unless these posts have been pre-approved by NAMI staff. This includes, but is not limited to, communications that ask for telephone, address, e-mail, surveys and research studies.
5. Participants should be aware that the opinions, beliefs and statements posted in this forum do not necessarily represent the opinions and beliefs of NAMI. Participants also agree that NAMI is not to be held liable for any loss or injury caused, in whole or in part, by sponsorship of this message board. Participants also agree that NAMI reserves the right to report any suspicions of harm to self or others as evidenced by participant posts.
6. Posting off-topic messages to discussion groups will result in removal of and the possible suspension of posting privileges.
7. NAMI members or staff who post non-public information on public areas of the site or off-topic messages in member-only discussion areas may have their posting privileges suspended and will be subject to appropriate corrective action.
You agree that you are prohibited from using this site to commit fraudulent activities, violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation. Furthermore, no communications passing through this site may be defamatory, libelous, unlawfully threatening or unlawfully harassing, obscene or contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information. NAMI will take immediate action to prevent violators of this policy from using our site.
The public areas of NAMI.org (i.e. those areas accessible without signing in to the site) are accessible to all users, regardless of age. However, areas that require sign in prior to access are restricted to users 13 years of age and older. Persons under 13 years of age are prohibited from registering for access to, or signing in to these areas. NAMI shall not be held liable for consequences resulting from persons under 13 years of age registering for access to or signing in to the site.